Motorcycle Riders Club of America: Online Community

Had a fellow put a set of tires on my V65 last Sun, turned out he didn't have a balancer and told me he's never balanced motorcycle tires and that they don't need to be balanced. Seems to me they should be balanced, have always got tires balanced in the past, no matter what they were put on. What ya'll think?

Views: 6993

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I balence tires by running a round shaft through the hub and spinning the wheel. If it comes to a stop at the same place 2 or 3 times in a row, I add a weight at the top and tinker with it until it comes to a stpp in a different place each time. Seems to work just fine.

Crazy Horse
thats how I do it and it works fine if the stoping area varies put a weight on top at both ends, works 100%, I clamp the axle in a vice and spin the wheel, have a few new weights for your type of rim, and save your old ones for the next time
As....Jerryman,and Eugene vik said....That's one way to do it,and balancing is good for ride and tire life.....But most newer tires have a balance DOT on them now....All you have to do is put the dot where the valve stem is,and it's balanced.....John
Good point. Not sure it;s a 100%. I've studied too many factory workers on the line. Crazy Horse
I have always had my tire speed balanced by the installer. There is a product call DynaBeads that you add inside the tire and I understand it does a good job.

RoadDawg out...
Last two sets of Dunlop D404 tires that I put on my Kaw were balanced by lining up the balance dot on the tire with the valve stem and niether set of tires ever required any additional balancing throughout the entire life of the tires. So, check the sidewall of your tires, if there's an oval or circle or a paint dot somewhere in the vicinity of the valve stem, the guy who installed your tires got lucky and you probably won't need to have anything further done. Bottom line, however, is that bike tires, like car tires will require balancing if the balance dot isn't positioned correctly.
Run your ride at various speeds on a smooth road, if it shakes you need to balance. I rarely need to balance on aluminun wheels with the tires nowadays, spoked wheels generally are gonna' need it. Paul is correct, line up the balance dot and you should be good to go.
The dot on the tires isn't a "balance dot" but is only an indication of where the heavy (or light, I can never remember) spot is on the tire so it is lined up with the valve stem on the wheel to assist in using as little weight as possible. Sure I've had some that require no weight but I've had many more that need it. Some tires don't have a dot so what do you propose to do with them?

On an 800 pound cruiser tire balance may not be an issue but when you get into the lighter bikes it most definitely is. It's relatively easy to balance your own wheels as Jerryman has said, also the dynamic balancers such as dynabeads and Rideon liquid work very well.

Even if your tire is perfect not all wheels are created equal, no matter how good your tire is if your wheel is a little heavy in one place it will throw the whole assembly out of balance.

Why would you not balance your tire? It takes no special tools, only a little bit of time. I would definitely find a new place to get work done on my bike if that is the loose attitude your shop has toward doing a quality job.
Question...Some tires don't have a dot so what do you propose to do with them?
Answer...The ones without dots ( quality ones $ ) are balanced,there for no dot.
And yes,I do balance as well... and I like the "idear" (southern) of beads....John
HEY HOW ARE YOU, I JUST CHANGED TWO TIRES ON MY 2002 HARLEY FLHT AND INSTALLED DYNA BEADS. A FRIEND OF MINE USED THEM AND SAID THEY WORK WELL. SO I BOUGHT THEM, YOU INSTALL THEM IN THE TIRE VALVE OR WHEN YOU CHANGE TIRE BREAK BEAD AND POUR THEM IN. IN 16" TIRE 2 OZ IN FRONT AND 2 OZ IN BACK, THATS IT. CHECK WEB OR GO TO bestrestproducts.com
HEY I FORGOT TO SAY THEY ROLL AROUND IN THE TIRE TO BALANCE WHILE YOU RIDE, SO YOU DO NOT NEED WHEEL WEIGHTS ON WHEELS AND YOU CAN REMOVE AND PUT IN NEW TIRES WHEN YOU CHANGE TIRES
So, to get these things in my tires, would I put the bike on a lift, get the wheels off the ground, remove valve stem, put beads in??

RSS

Forum

Bike Modifications 3 Replies

Started by Tj Rowe in General Motorcycling. Last reply by Tj Rowe Sep 18.

Frenchie

Started by mkr aka greasyrider in General Motorcycling Sep 17.

starting the Annual 'DANNY PATRICK RIDES" 13 Replies

Started by John & Red Black in General Motorcycling. Last reply by Rick Gero Sep 2.

© 2014   Created by MRCAStaff.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service